Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

LIFE TO THE FULLEST

“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is men who have come alive.” -- Gil Bailie

It’s funny to me how God sometimes decides to go a totally different direction than what I expect. He did that with this post. I had already finished most of the preparation for a different topic and was just about to write the final version when I decided to read Officer Stansbury’s last post one more time. As I did, I was profoundly struck by three phrases in his message. The first was “Don’t be constrained by your experience.” Next, to the Challenge Dads he wrote, “We have experienced a life of abuse and worry.” Finally, he said, “Dare (emphasis mine) to have a meaningful relationship with the creator of the universe.” Now, I had already read the post … several times. But, this time was different. I felt like God was using these phrases to get my attention in a big way. When I prayed and asked Him about it, He immediately reminded me of a line in the McFarland creed: Live life to the fullest. It comes directly from the words of Jesus in John 10:10: "The thief comes only to kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” While every line in my personal creed is intentional and purposeful, I especially love this one. Let me explain why.

Years ago, I was headed down a very bad path. I was already a Christian, but had not been trained to deal with adversity. When it came, I became distracted, discouraged and lost focus. Satan seized the opportunity to convince me to believe several lies about myself. I didn’t think I could measure up and lost hope. As a result, I gave up, checked out and went my own way. In the process, I made some very bad and very costly decisions -- decisions that caused deep and immense pain for many people in my life. It was as if I left my post, allowing the enemy to enter my base and detonate a massive bomb. I deserved to lose everything good in my life and thought I had. But, in His immense mercy and grace, God saw fit to choose otherwise. He started by allowing me to see the devastation I had caused. When I did, I turned my heart back to Him. I accepted full responsibility for my actions, repented and asked for His forgiveness. I submitted myself to Him completely and fully. And then He began to move…in a big way. Soon after, I discovered John 10:10 and feel like Christ revealed the depth of its meaning to me.

When I first read it, the word "full" stood out to me so I looked it up in Webster’s Dictionary. Boy, was I surprised! There were 20 different definitions for this seemingly simple little word! I was also astounded by many of these definitions as I considered how they applied to the life that Christ describes in John 10:10. Here are just a few of them:

Full (adj.): 1. Complete especially in detail, number, or duration. 2. Having all distinguishing characteristics: enjoying all authorized rights and privileges. 3. Not lacking in any essential. 4. Being at the height of development. 5. Rich in experience. 6. Large enough to satisfy. 7. Completely occupied especially with a thought or plan. 8. Possessing a rich or pronounced quality.

Wow! Is that not exciting! It reminds me again of the second part of James 1:4 which states, “…so that we may become mature and complete, not lacking anything.” Of course, let’s not forget that the verse begins by stating, “Perseverance must finish its work …”. The operative word here is perseverance. Webster defines perseverance as “The act of persevering.” The word “persevere” is an action verb with three definitions: 1. To persist in anything undertaken. 2. Maintain a purpose in spite of difficulty, obstacles, or discouragement. 3. Continue steadfastly.

Do you get the picture yet? God loves us so much that he wants to give us a life of great adventure! However, the Bible also makes it clear that a full life is NOT an easy, safe one with guarantees or clear, timely answers. The full life our Lord intends for us is one that requires obedience, faith and trust in Him without demanding to know why things are happening, regardless of how hard or painful they might be. Satan knows about this full life and hates it. He does everything possible to stop a man from completing the mission Christ has for him, because he knows that God calls men to lead the way in this world. Mr. Stansbury was right. We should not let our fears or past adverse experiences constrain us. Instead, we should dare to have a meaningful relationship with the creator of the universe and be constrained only by the love of Christ. That is a truly full life.

Those years ago God redeemed me. Here and now I testify that He has poured out His love on me and graciously granted me a FULL LIFE. It is not without pain, struggle, uncertainty or hardship. It is also not without immense peace, joy, laughter, adventure and contentment. I would not trade it for any other. Young men, I encourage you to avoid wasted years that will leave only needless pain and regret. Rather, choose to seek Christ with your whole heart. Obey Him completely and trust Him in all circumstances so that you can realize the full life He has in store for you. As John Elderedge so aptly puts it in his book The Way of the Wild At Heart, “Don’t choose safety over the opportunity to come alive…. Life is not a problem to be solved; it is an adventure to be lived! Embrace risk! Love with abandon. Stop waiting for others to love you first.”

Now, I encourage you to go live life to the fullest!!!!

Mike McFarland
2010 Guest Director

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, but do so in a Christian manner, Profanity will not be tolerated.