Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Positive Mental Attitude: A Leadership Force Multiplier

Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. –- Romans 12:11-12

Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
-- 1 Timothy 4:12


Sometimes, the hardship or frustrations of life cause us to forget important lessons that God teaches us. This happened to me recently. My job has been very difficult for several months. It has required much more effort than usual with much fewer results. Add to that other stresses of life and, without realizing it, my attitude had changed. This change was brought to my attention by the CEO of the company I work for when he approached me one day.

“Mike, you’ve been having a tough time lately haven’t you?”
“I have,” I answered. “How did you know?”
“Your attitude changed,” he said. “You’ve been noticeably frustrated lately. I understand why, but the problem is that your attitude is also having a negative effect on several of your counterparts. They watch you, you know. They follow your lead. It is having a marked affect on the company.”


I was shocked. I had no idea this was the case. I did not realize my attitude changed but, apparently, others around me did. Others who I didn’t even know were watching. Others I didn’t even know paid any attention to me. I had forgotten a basic rule: Leadership by example includes consistently maintaining a positive mental attitude. In the military, this type of thing is referred to as a “force multiplier” -- a capability that, when added to and employed by a combat force, significantly increases the combat potential of that force and thus enhances the probablity of successful mission accomplishment. In fact, a positive mental attitude is so important that the United States Air Force puts it atop the list of “The Seven Priorities of Survival” they teach at SERE (Survive, Escape, Resist and Evade) school. It is above everything else, including fire, shelter, water and food.

Young men, the point is that Christ-centered leadership is never about you. It is always about those around you. It is not about how much you can take, but rather about how much you can give. The Apostle Paul understood this well. Read Philippians 1:1 – 2:18. He is writing this letter to the believers in Philippi … from prison. If anybody had a reason to be frustrated and discouraged, it was Paul. But he wasn’t. He rejoiced (1:18). Why? Because he understood that God was using his chains to advance the gospel (1:12) and cause Christ to be preached (1:18). Not only did he lead by example, but he also encouraged others to as well (2:1-4), reminded them of why they should do it (2:5-11) and urged them to share in his gladness and rejoicing (2:12-18). If you ask me, Paul was the ultimate encourager and a master of positive mental attitude.

I was thankful for the gentle, but candid reproach of my boss that day. He was right and it snapped me out of it. It also reminded me that Christ uses men who are wholly committed to Him to lead the way, that people are following that lead even when we don’t realize they are doing so and that a positive mental attitude is a core part of leadership.

I pray that I will not forget that lesson. I also pray that neither will you.

Mike McFarland
2010 Challenge Guest Director

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, but do so in a Christian manner, Profanity will not be tolerated.